What causes periodic severe pain in upper right quadrant of abdomen?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: I have severe pain in my upper right quadrant peroidically. It generally begins after i start dieting i.e. low fat diet ,fruits ect... I am a 47 year old woman in pretty good shape. I have gone to the doctor and have had an Ultrasound which was negative, and a hida scan also negative. Considering i would like to mantain a healthy weight it is unlikely i will never diet again. I am 5ft 4in 140lb female, I exercise weekly. Please help me try to figure out what it is when i have an attack it is almost unbearable. Its in my upper right quad , it feels like a spasm which gets progressinvely worse. It starts when i am very hungry. I have gone to the emergency room once and waited so long (8 hours) that by the time i was examined it had passed. I had vomited and had loose stools. The pain generally lasts 8-10 hours . It radiates to my back. Thank you for your help XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to infection of the gut.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Pain in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen is commonly due to Gallbladder stones, Liver disease etc.
As the Ultrasound abdomen is normal, these are excluded.
Next important structure located there is Hepatic flexure of the Colon.It is the continuation of Ascending colon as Transverse colon.Infection of this Colon can produce the symptoms mentioned by you . Vomiting and Diarrhoea Could be due to Gastroenteritis. I prescribe Antibiotic like Rifaximine tablet along with Pre and Probiotic capsule to my patients with similar complaints. Results were very good.
Please avoid outside food, carbonated drinks, caffeine products, spicy food etc.
As you are getting these type of symptoms regularly, I prefer you to take a Pre and Probiotic capsule daily for few weeks.I also advise you to take a Proton pump inhibitor like Rabeprazole.
Hope I answered your query. If you have any questions, I will clarify further.
Wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Hari Charan Perigela

General Surgeon