What causes periodic pain in the lower jaw?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I have periodic pain in my left lower jaw. Like a cramp. It is pronounced when I turn certain ways. I have a malocclusion so thought it may be a TMJ issue ( a known risk ) but I don't have "clicking" and no pain when eating. What might it be ?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clicking is not a compulsory finding..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain the symptoms can be due to jaw joint related problems only as you already have malocclusion while it can also be due to stress and anxiety that can lead to clenching of teeth..

Muscle tightness and nerve related problems can also be a cause..

Nothing to worry, you can take a combination of painkillers and muscle relaxant like Tizanidine for a week..
Take soft diet..
Massage the muscles over the jaws with finger tips in round motions, starting from the jaw joint area down the jaw..
Avoid excessive mouth opening while yawning, laughing etc....

In case if you do not find relief then you should get a Panoramic x ray done for ruling out the cause..

Please write back for more queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana