• question-icon

What causes penile discharge and pain during urination?

Posted on Mon, 30 May 2016 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: I will start from the top because I feel this may all be related. First of all I am a 30 year old perfectly healthy male, very in shape and never had anything XXXXXXX issues. On February 12th I received unprotected oral sex from a girl I do not know. It was at a strip club. I regret doing it..about 2 days later the tip of my penis hurt to the touch.. A week or so later I was away on a vacation, I noticed a discharge from the tip of penis. I saw it like that for a few days, maybe there was a very very minor burring when peeing. I went to an urgent care clinic, I talked to the doctor, he did not examine me, we just discussed everything. He said it is either chlamydia or Gonorrhea most likely, and he could test me for both, so i peed in a cup. (I was surprised he did not swap the tip of the penis though). He also said he will treat me for both and gave me the 1 gram of Azithromycin and a shot in my rear end of Doxycycline. He said if the symptoms clear up, then that is what is was, and sometimes the urine text won't even show positive. Well I left, and on the 2nd day later the discharge was practically gone, and by the 3rd day, I did not see it anymore, and it has not been back since. The thing is, i could have sworn the tip my penis still looked red and hurt just a tiny bit still, but i thought i am over thinking things. They called days later by the way and said the test came back negative for both.

Well now almost a month later, on Saturday March 19th, I woke up and felt a pain around my bladder area. I was not sure what it was, at first i thought it was soreness, because 2 days before that I moved heavy boxes, 5 boxes that weighed 400lbs each, I pushed a lot. I said maybe it was from that? but at the same time I did not have any pain when I moved the boxes. The pain continued the next day on Sunday about the same.. On Monday I still had it, and it was now very annoying so I asked a family doctor who I know, and he referred me to a urologist. I got an appointment and saw him yesterday (Monday). I told him everything, from the day since the I received the unprotected oral sex. The doctor examined me, he did a ultra sound, which he saw nothing on, he also checked for a hernia and did some minor touching. I took a urine test (2 cups they asked for) the doctor said he wants me to go for a CT scan, and i took a blood test to make sure I can go? He said it may be some sort of stones? The Doctor said to me he thinks I may not have ever had an infection. I said, it has to be, the time frame fit perfect, and it seems right after taking the antibiotics I got better on schedule, or partially at least. He somehow is under the impression this something unrelated? and since i been fine all my life, i just don't think this fits and feel i have some infection.

I woke up today, Tuesday the 22nd, and the bladder pain is a bit worse feeling, it feels very full, i also have very minor pain on the lower sides of my back, and i also seem to feel a pain right around or right above or behind my penis. When I am done peeing, i also get the sensation there is still pee in the hear/tip of my penis. I also get a very minor pain behind or under my testicles. Also, every so often i get a funny feeling i cannot describe well inside the urethra but only in the tip area/head of my penis.I woke up feeling slightly off, like i had a fever, yet I took my temperate many times and I do not have any. I called my doctor today and he called me back, I told him my new symptoms, he said I need to get the CT scan done, I asked if he thinks its an infection, he is saying he thinks I am thinking about it to much, he said you really cannot get much from oral sex, maybe herpes... Which to me sounds absolutely crazy. He seems very sure of himself that it is not an infection and says its very hard to catch something from oral sex maybe herpes? this makes me worry, the guy is apparently a good doctor, but I don't know. He also told me the got my urine culture back and everything is normal? doesn't a culture need to take more then 24 hours?

Well, I don't know where to go with this anymore. I feel this is still somehow still related to my sexual encounter last month, because this is just to out of the ordinary and maybe something spread? or maybe something was not treated completely? I told my family physician, he said he thinks it can be many different types of partially treated infections from my sexual encounter and started me on a 7 day course of Doxycycline today, i so far am only 1 pill in. I am just at this point not sure what to do. Which is why I am here. I feel tomorrow I may call and make another appointment at a different urologist for a 2nd opinion. Because my first doctor seems to want to disregard the sexual act completely and that's when everything started.

I am here for some thoughts and advice. I know this will not replace going to the doctor, and I will not. So i would like to hear as many qualified opinions as possible.

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Hanif 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue Doxycycline; and, go for a mandatory CT Scan!

Detailed Answer:
It's Dr. Hanif with a warm welcome. Thanks for visiting and trusting HCM. I have thoroughly reviewed health query you raised, and well realize all of those concerns.

For a urine culture it isn't mandatory to get 24 hours for the results to come back. It actually is the time taken by the transportation of samples from Doctor office to actual machine of lab and then preparation of the results etc. Please trust your Physician as he says your reports are back and normal. You can take a copy from him and it is almost impossible that he is telling a lie on the issues as your Physician knows the strict medical disciplinary rules governing the patient care here in your area.

I know this isn't an ordinary looking for you but nothing has spread anywhere. The infection after the sexual contact was over there and then. Now it may be some other reason for the symptoms and that's why your Urologist was in need to extend the diagnostics on you.

PROBABLE CAUSES:
It may be due to some issue with the genitourinary system that needs a CT scan diagnostics. It will reveal what the issue can it actually be. Please be patient and follow the instructions of your Physician for proper management. It is better for you to go for a CT at least to rule out the major causes of concern.

MANAGEMENT OPTIONS:
Continue with the prescribed medication-Doxycycline as this will also cure if any residual infections as your Physician is suspecting.

FINAL SUGGESTIONS:
Better is to go for a CT Scan right away for the reasons aforementioned.

Hope I addressed all the concerns you have. Let me know if you have further questions. I will be more than happy to help. In future for a fast and direct consultation from me use this link ( http://tinyurl.com/drhanifmd ) and I will be with you in no time to solve your health issues.

Regards!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Muhammad Hanif