What causes pelvic pain post a partial hysterectomy?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 3 Apr 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. My name is XXXXXXX I am 62 years old. I have MS. I had a partial hysterectomy when I was 29. I am confined to a wheelchair. When I lay on my back after a few minutes I start having discomfort and achy feeling in my pelvic area where my ovaries are. What could be causing this and what should I do? I haven't been to a gynecologist in about 6 years.
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Need few more details ...

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear and thanks for your query to HealthcareMagic .

I have read your question and understand your health concern .

Pain that start after you lay down on your back can be due to back pain that spread to lower pelvis cause of wheelchair .

But I will need more details to determine the reason of pain.

Why was the hysterectomy done ?
Do you have urinary frequency or burning urination ?
Do you have constipation ?
Do you feel bloated ?
How many times are on pain ?
Do you have vaginal discharges ?
Do you have any familial history of any malignancy such as colon, breast or ovarian cancer ?

Please write me back with these details and I will try to determine the reason of pain.

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 2 hours later
Hello Dr Mbiarra, My hysterectomy was done because I had noninvasive cervical cancer. My ovaries were left because I was too young to go through the change of life. Due to my MS I have urinary and bowel incontinence and the muscles in that area are very weak. I have had MS since 1999. I don't have constipation but sometimes I have a hard time having a bowel movement. I don't feel bloated and I don't have any vaginal discharge. I have the pain and achy feeling every night and even some days when I am just relaxing in my recliner. My mother died from cervical cancer in 2004. My maternal aunt died of breast cancer. My maternal grandmother died of stomach cancer. My maternal grandfather died of prostate cancer. My paternal grandmother died of breast cancer. My sister had bladder cancer and is still living.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 33 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abdominal pain can be due to bowel incontinence

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again and apologies for late reply.

Abdominal pain can be due to bowel incontinence or as I have mentioned above .
Meanwhile you have have had hysterectomy for cervical cancer and you have many familiar with different malignancies or cancers(it may be linked with Lunch syndrome) you should see a doctor to exclude ovarian cancer.

Hope I have answered your question and please feel free for further discussion.

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 7 hours later
Thank you for your advice. I will be seeing my doctor on the 28th.
Brief Answer:
You are welcome to HCM

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear again!

You are welcome to Healthcare magic for any other issue you may have.

In fact you haven't so much chances for ovarian cancer because you have an abdominal pain that isn't continues without abdominal bloating with vaginal discharges but meanwhile you have so much family members with cancer better is to see a doctor to exclude any issue and have peace of mind .

Best regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad