• question-icon

What causes pelvic discomfort after a Pap smear procedure?

Posted on Fri, 30 Jun 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Why did my pap hurt? I was very upset and scared so i could have tensed up. Dr said everything looked and felt great but i still have some cramping
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

The cramping can be caused by stimulation of the uterus either during the swabbing with he Pap brush or from pressing on the uterus from above your pelvis during the bimanual exam.

Being tense can cause the muscles to contract around the speculum, which can make for an uncomfortable exam.

If you are having pain during an exam, be sure to tell the doctor and have him or her stop what they are doing. There are tricks for helping to make the exam more comfortable. For example, when in stirrups, the muscles that bring the thighs together and the muscles that do the opposite oppose each other. So the doctor can have you put your hands on the outsides of your legs and have you push your legs against your hands while they resist. By actively doing this, it can help relax the muscles that need relaxing.

Also, the doctor can heat up the speculum under running warm water and this can make the exam easier too, as the water acts as a lubricant.

If the doctor is experienced he/she will know to press the speculum down towards your back, and this is more comfortable too, as there are more sensory nerves anteriorly (towards your front).

If you continue to cramp, an NSAID such as ibuprofen can help, but take it after you have food in your stomach. You should feel better soon.

I hope this information helps.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 hours later
I have a fuctioning cyst on my right ovary. Im wondering if he could have irritated that
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thoughts on this.

Detailed Answer:
A functional cyst is usually most uncomfortable during the week before ovulation and after and then overtime starts to get reabsorbed.

It's possible with the palpating that occurs during the bimanual exam that it may have become irritated but usually the pain would then be on the side of that ovary.

Still, it's possible.

Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 24 minutes later
Im not cramping any more other than on my lower right side. Thank you for the information
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Information

Detailed Answer:
Yes, if you have a cyst and it was pushed around, then it can be tender there for awhile. I expect it to be feeling at least partially better tomorrow.

Another thing that can cause pain in the lower right side (lower right abdomen though) is the appendix, so if the pain increases, you are also feeling overall ill and nausea, then that is something to consider.

I hope you feel better soon.
Follow up: Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 3 minutes later
Thank you for being so helpful and nice to me. Im a bit of a worry wart.
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No worries!

Detailed Answer:
Oh, you're welcome!

Have a good night,
Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh, MD
Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh