What causes peeling of a mole?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 28 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: my mole is peeling...I will get it checked asap...could it be melanoma?
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Kindly send important details and picture. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I can understand your concern for the peeling at the mole site and any possibility of melanoma related to the same. To tell you scientifically and medially regarding moles- We have with us the cells known as melanocytes in the skin which gives color to the skin. At some places these are naturally and genetically more in number. At these places these proliferates inside the skin and forms the moles. It may appear any time after birth and is more common in people with white skin. After reading your query I can make out that you are quite worried about the mole an peeling over it. In all the patients with mole and especially Caucasian population with fair skin we always explain and guide the patient for following important points which are also know ans ABCD of mole in which : - A is for Asymmetry- meaning if one half is different than the other half. - B is for Border Irregularity-meaning if the edges are notched, uneven, or blurred. - C for Color- meaning if the color is uneven or we see shades of brown or multiple color in mole. - D for Diameter- meaning if Diameter of the mole is greater than 6 millimeters or simply saying a pencil tip. Along with this we always guide for the patient to report immediately if there is redness or swelling beyond the mole, pain, tenderness, itching, bleeding and if oozing appearance of a new bump or nodule, color spreads into surrounding skin or any color change is present. So getting above points I can get that there is only peeling of skin. So to guide you further I would like to ask regarding above points. Tell me if you have observed that the mole is around pencil tip or have any variegated borders or color change or any important finding in the same. In view to help you best I suggest you to upload few good resolution pictures of mole area. For that you have a feature to upload images by yourself at the right side of the query page. Or else, you can send as an attachment to YYYY@YYYY with the subject as "Attn: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia. Hope to hear soon from your side. Wish you good health. Regards. Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD (Dermatology & STD)