What causes pasty deep brownish vaginal discharge after Mirena IUD insertion?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: I got the Mirena 3 months ago. I got this due to very heavy long periods. In addition I had a pelvic and vagina ultrasound and they found a fibroid about the size of a plum. I have been treated the past 5 days for BV with Metronidazole Vaginel Gel. I was never tested for BV...however, based on my symptoms, the doctor diagnosed and prescribed the medication over the phone. The 2nd day on the Metronidazole I began experiencing a very pasty somewhat gel like deep brownish/purple discharge. Even somewhat flaky to a degree. I have lost track of my period since getting the Mirena due to irregular bleeding and spotting. However, I have never experienced anything like this. I contacted my doctor and they informed me that this has nothing to do with the medication. I am 47 years old. I am 5'2" and weigh 135 pounds.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be due to the infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The pasty deep brownish discharge can be due to the bacterial vaginosis itself or a mild spotting associated with an increased vaginal discharge due to the infection. This is likely to subside on its own in next few days as you are already taking the antibiotic. In case the discharge is persistent then do consult your gynecologist for a physical examination and proper oral antibiotics and a vaginal swab culture for a specific treatment.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj