What causes passing of mucus post bowel resection?

General Surgeon
Question
I just had bowel resectioning july 17 came home from hospital Monday july21 stomach is still constantly rumbling and only able to pass mucus with no stool
Posted Wed, 13 Aug 2014 in Abdominal Pain

Answered by Dr. Hari Charan Perigela 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It will take some more time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thank you for posting in health care magic.
I would like to have some more information about your surgery.
1.What was the indication for bowel resection?
2 . whether it was small bowel or large bowel?
3.What is the day of Surgery? After how many days after surgery, you were discharged?

As per your description, you were operated on 17.7.14 and discharged on 21.7.14. If it is correct, it is not good to discharge only after 4 days after bowel resection.

Oral fluids will be allowed 4 days after surgery. 2 days later semisolid food and next solid food is allowed.

You have to wait for few more days to pass the stool.

Nothing to worry.

Please come back with the answers for my questions.