What causes parotid gland inflammation?
Hello I just had septoplasty performed on Wednesday (4-5 days ago). The last couple of days I have had ear aches (worse on the left) and am now having pain in the left parotid region (worse with pressure) tht seems to radiate into my upper jaw and rear molars. I am now seeing that the left side of my face/cheek has started to swell (very recent). Should I be concerned?
Also, I was previously worried about cancer due to my risk factors (just quit using smokeless tobacco after ~7 years and used to drink 5-8 beers a day). There are some small lesions inside the cheek in the area that is swollen.
Parotid gland inflammation or TM joint disorder...
Thanks for posting the query
I have gone through your query and understood your problem.
The description quoted by you seems to be related to either inflammation of the parotid gland or TM joint disorder (secondary to stretching of the joint).
In the open mouth photo of yours, I could see an inflamed parotid gland duct opening. This can cause blocking of the duct leading to stasis of the salivary secretions and swelling of the gland.
My suggestions to you are:
1. Drink plenty of warm water and take citrus fruits. This increases the salivary gland secretions and wash out any stagnated secretions.
2. OTC medicines such as ibuprofen or diclofenac can be used for the pain relief and inflammation.
3. Avoid smoking
4. If the symptoms do not get relieved with above measures, consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and management.
Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Drugs/medication for parotid gland inflammation
- Diagnosis of parotid gland inflammation
- Parotid gland inflammation causes
- Parotid gland tumor causes
- Treatment and cure for parotid gland inflammation
- Symptoms of parotid gland inflammation
- Parotid gland cyst causes
- Parotid gland infection causes
- Parotid gland cancer causes
- What is the cause of infection in parotid gland