What causes panic attacks and premature ventricular contractions?

Cardiologist
Question
hello -
36 year old male. I used cocaine recreationally (~1 gram/week) for about two years. I have been clean for 6 weeks now. I have since had 2 panic attacks, and started having PVCs after the first panic attack - holter monitor showed 2900 in 24 hours. Echo and stress tests went great, heart is in great shape, blood pressure 110/70, resting HR 72bpm. PVCs go away with exercise. I am not having any alcohol or caffeine. Could this be part of withdrawal, or is this a permanent thing? Any suggestions? (and yes, i am permanently clean now!)
Posted Sat, 16 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
please see below.

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
If you have any symptoms pertaining to VPC like palpitation or uneasiness? Since in the absence of symptoms, such vpcs do not carry any value in subjects with normal echo. Even if you are symptomatic, simple relaxation. Techniques will help. Uncommonly we prescribe beta blockers to such patients.
If they are really due to cocaine withdrawal can not be said surely. If they are, they are likely to wane off with time. Avoid smoking coffee, tea, stress.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder

Follow-up: What causes panic attacks and premature ventricular contractions? 6 minutes later
I do have symptoms - occasional palpitations, and whenever a PVC happens, I feel the large beat following the PVC. I have a lot of anxiety over them, for sure. I also often feel lightheaded when experiencing the PVCs.
Also, I have been feeling numb on my left pinky finger, but my doctors tell me that is also stress/anxiety related, not heart.

Answered by Dr. Sukhvinder Singh 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please see below

Detailed Answer:
Dear sir
As I narrated before if you are symptomatic you need to cut down on few things. You must reduce stress levels. Finger related symptoms are not due to heart as your tmt is normal.
If symptoms persist and are bothersome, you may require medicines, do consult your cardiologist. But long term prognosis in such individuals is generally good.
Sincerely
Sukhvinder