What causes palpitations with sweating?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: My chest was beating strangely and then I got really hot and sweating. I regularly have pac's, but this felt like a bunch for about 30 seconds, I hit my chest to make it stop. the feeling hot was new. should I be alarmed? I have had ekg, strees test and halter and they found no issues as of yet.
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Other non-PAC's causes to look for...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I am sorry for the situation you are in.

Apart PAC's, other possible causes to feeling hot and sweating that come to my mind are:

- hypoglycemic episodes (should monitor your blood glucose at the time you get the episode)
- thyroid hormones imbalance (should run thyroid function test)
- drops in blood pressure (hypotension) due to metoprolol use (monitor blood pressure when you have the episodes)
- hormonal changes due to monthly periods (flashes) or perimenopause syndrome

You can check them out with your doctor to determine the right cause!
All the best!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 46 minutes later
I have been told that pac's are not harmful, can you explain this to me. I do not understand how your heart beating wrong will not harm you in the long run.
Brief Answer:
Gives discomfort,but not harmful...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Thank you for following up.

Yes, what they have been told you is right: PACs are not harmful, they give discomfort but at no harm.

PACs are premature atrial contractions, in other words, the atrium have a premature contraction, followed by a compensatory pause (you feel like your heart stopped beating or pause).

As the diastole takes too long, the next beat will be felt as palpitation (stronger).

In other words, you might feel flattering sensation near your heart; stronger heart beats or skipped heart beats and other symptoms (like sweating, high heart beats/min at resting, chest pain, difficulty breathing, etc.).

Once again, PACs is not going to cause any harm to you as long as no organic problem to the heart has been found.

There are other factors that cause PACs including:
- smoking
- using recreational drugs
- caffeine
- alcohol
- stress/anxiety

Avoid using them and try to control stress/anxiety, and won't feel PACs.

All the best!
Dr.Albana