What causes palpitations with chest pain and shortness of breath?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Unexplainable fast heartbeat, minor chest pains, and short XXXXXXX of breath.

Would it be suggested to get off the Pill and consider a different contraceptive method?

I just completed my 4th pack of Microgestin Fe 1/20 and began my 5th pack on Friday.

I also forgot to mention that earlier that week on Monday, I began to run in the mornings. I ran Monday and Wednesday. The sun was very much out by then it was hot, so I don't know if that may have anything to do with this. I do remember being very out of breath, but that should be normal since I was pretty active growing up and knew that was expected.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Other tests are advised...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

I have gone through your medical history and feel sorry for the situation you are in.

Your symptoms are indicative for panic attack/anxiety. However, as you are taking Microgestin, I suggest to run further tests to exclude deep vein thrombosis, cardiac problems and pulmonary embolism:
- ECG, cardiac echo
- Chest X-ray
- respiratory function test

If everything is ok, then, most probably is due to aggravation of anxiety disorder when using Microgestin.

Hope it helped! Do let me know if I can assist you further!
Dr.Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 1 hour later
Thank you very much for your response, Doctor.

So, regardless of whether or not I was on the placebo week of Microgestin, this is a side effect? Would you recommend I look into other contraceptive methods? If so, would you happen to know what could be better for someone experiencing these conditions?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Condoms&IUD...

Detailed Answer:

Yes, with the hormonal changes, Microgestin might influenza heart beats.

The idea is to implement methods that cannot interfere with your heart function. Therefore, I would recommend:
- condoms
- IUD

The do not have hormones or other chemical that can interfere with heart rate, so, you won't face fast heart beats.

Hope it answered to your query!
Dr.Benard