What causes palpitations and lightheadedness?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have noticed that I feel my heart fluttering , like a skipped beat then feel lightheaded. I am 49, have by
Hypothyroidism. In the past have experienced PVCs this has been constant throughout the day, not sure what is causing it

Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised for ECG & Holter Monitoring

Detailed Answer:
Welcome
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Skipped heart beat or fluttering could be due to frequent PVC's or more serious condition like Atrial Flutter or Fibrillation.
Occasional VPC's are normal in a normal heart but frequent VPC's (>8/min) needs treatment.
To evaluate further, I'll recommend you for ECG, Holter Monitoring (24hr ECG monitoring) & a 2D Echo.
In the meanwhile if the fluttering is too much we generally advice our patients to take Tab Betaloc 25mg once daily.
Hope i answered your query.
If you need any more help, I'll be happy to help you.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 2 hours later
Thank you for your advice, I will make an appointment with my primary for further evaluation. The information you provided was extremely helpful. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks a lot

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the kind words.
If you need any help, I'll always be available.
If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer or you can choose to close the discussion.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng