• question-icon

What causes pale stools after taking Phenergan?

Posted on Mon, 24 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: Hi there,
We recently got home from Kenya. My four year old has had a terrible time adjusting her time clock, so I gave her phenergan. I have noticed her stool has lightened in colour. Should I be alarmed? She has no other symptoms.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very likely nothing to worry especially if the child looks well

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at Healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Phenergan (medical name is promethazine) is used sometimes for sleep problems as it has good sedative effect.
In it's possible side effects it is mentioned that it might cause cholestasis (which is blockage of the bile channels) and one of the symptoms of it is pale stools.
The child would have jaundice also (turning yellow) and be fussy and complaining of abdominal pain if that was the case.
There are other causes of lightened stools also, so if no other symptoms very likely it is not related to the medication.

So if your child is not complaining of abdominal pain and no jaundice (skin or eyes turning yellow) than very likely the pale stools the child is having are not related to the effect of phenergan.
If your child is having abdominal pain and jaundice than still these effects go away with the discontinuation of the medication but you will need to see a doctor to evaluate the child.

To conclude I would say that very likely your child is safe and nothing to worry, especially if the child seems well. I would not continue to use the medication. if the child is fussy and in pain or jaundiced, please see a doctor.
Sometimes travelling stresses the children and also might be due to time difference but also stress so just being close to the child and trying to comfort might be all she needs.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to contact us in case more clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Antoneta Zotaj