What causes pale stools after a colonoscopy?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had a colonoscopy on Fri (all normal) and a complete abd ultrsnd in feb w no abnormal findings (pancreas not seen due to gas). Is it normal to have lighter stools after a colonoscopy? Had my first stools today and they are yellow brown or a mid-colored XXXXXXX Not white, not clay-colored, a touch darker than XXXXXXX but lighter than usual.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes colonoscopy destroys good bacterias of gut causing gastric disturbances.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic for your query,

Colonoscopy damages natural intestinal microflora, because this procedure requires a thorough lavage; washing out of the large intestine with large doses of synthetic laxatives, followed by bowel irrigation with polyethylene glycol and hypertonic electrolytes.
Hypertonic electrolyte is a solution of sodium biphosphate and sodium phosphate which kills and depletes good bacteria in gut.The damage of intestinal bacteria leads to a condition called dysbacteriosis,which causes problem with digestion like loose stools,bloating,belching etc.Disturbed color of stool is also because of improper digestion of food.
Advice
Don't panic.
Start taking probiotics for few days.Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system.Take lots of yoghurt rich in Lactobacillus.
Take lots of fibre rich food like oat ,barley,wheat etc.Atleast 40 grams of fibres should be taken everyday.

As the destroyed gut flora will replenish things will be normal.It will take 4-5 days for the things to be normal.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad