What causes pains in the different joints of the body with rise in LDH levels?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello my daughter has been having pain in her ankles for the last 3-4 years. We have been to our doctor many times and have been to foot specialists which have tried many types of shoe inserts. She still has pain in her ankles that comes and goes, but recently her knee and upper femur have given her pain. We saw a new doctor 3 weeks ago and XXXXXXX gave 12 viles of blood for testing. The doctor has been out of town for a few weeks and called us in today to go over results. He said there is no inflamation anywhere and all tests were negative, but her LDH levels were elevated to 244. He ordered another blood test where they took 2 viles of blood today, and the level was 250. He said he was concerned about that, so he suggested a bone scan. I am very nervous, is this the route you would take? Every now and then she complains of chest pains also.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes. Investigations are needed.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The pains in the different joints of the body with rise in LDH levels is worrisome. Elevated levels of LDH usually indicates some type of tissue damage. It can happen in viral infections liver or kidney diseases bone fractures or muscular dystrophy.
A bone scan will help in detecting her bone density and any specific focus of disease. Generalized vitamin D3 deficiency can also cause such symptoms.
Since pain killers are not helping her and the pain is persistent for last 3-4 years proper and detailed investigations are necessary to find out the cause.. She is getting the right treatment. Please do not worry and go ahead as her doctor advises.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thank you for your info Dr. Praveen-Tayal. I was wondering if generalized vitamin D3 deficiency would cause the LDH levels to be elevated like they are?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can indirectly affect enzyme levels.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Generalized D3 deficiency will not directly cause a rise in LDH levels but the associated bone and muscle destruction can cause the raised levels of the enzyme.
It is best to start D3 supplements in case the levels are on lower side.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.