What causes painless swelling on left side of head?

Dr. Albana Sejdini

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hello, I am 42 years old male, I 've had this swelling behind my left hair now for a while, although painless, it has been uncomfortable knowing its there and quite often one or two friends and family members notice and call my attention to it. I have also had dryness in my scalp for as long as i can remember. My question is are these related and what are the possible treatments for such
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
A photo of the swollen area is needed...

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your medical history carefully and understood your concerns.

You are reporting to have a swelling behind your left hair, can you please provide a photo (if it is possible) in order to see the location and its appearance myself?

You are also saying to be taking a course of antibiotics prescribed by your doctor. This is indicating that the swelling is related to hair root infection (although you are not reporting any pain, just been uncomfortable).

Dryness in the scalp might be related to:
- hot weather at the place you are living
- Dandruff
- eczema/psoriasis

which makes you more prone to develop hair root infection.

Looking forward to have the requested photo in for a more specific opinion.
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 43 minutes later
The error is actually from me, I meant swollen lymph node behind my left ear. will be uploading some pics soonest. And ... Thanks Doc!
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Ear problems/lipoma to consider and further checked...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

Actually, I was suspecting for possible enlarged lymph node, that's why I asked for the photo to get in.

Ok, then, I was going through the photo you sent in and noted the swollen lymph node.

There are 2 main possibilities to consider:
- ear problems: get your ears examined by ENT specialist to rule them out
- lipoma (fatty lump) under the skin explaining why it is painless.

If no ear problems, then, most probably it is lipoma and can be removed easily by a general surgeon. To my opinion, get an ENT consultation first, then, get further consultation with general surgeon.

Hope it was of help!
Dr.Albana
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 5 minutes later
OK, will do. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Hopefully, you'll get a final solution...All the best!

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

You're welcome!

If no more queries, please do not forget to close this discussion!
Dr.Albana