What causes painless lump in calf muscles?

Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I have a painless lump in my calf muscle that appears when I flex my leg
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue lump, MRI needed,consult orthopedician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

A lump on the calf when you flex the leg suggests a soft tissue lesion.
The soft tissue lesion appears to arise from the muscle because the lump is changing in prominence on flexing the leg.

A MRI of the leg will help to assess the origin, site and extent of the lesion.
After assessing the features of the lump, appropriate management can be planned.

Consultation with an orthopedician for clinical assessment, investigations and management is suggested.

Thanks
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
I am worried it might be sarcoma . I am a long way from specialist help and will have to wait until I am home over 1400 miles away
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis can be made after investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

There is a possibility that the lesion is rising from the muscles.
MRI will determine the site and origin of the lesion.
For further details, an aspiration cytology needs to be done.
In aspiration cytology, cells are aspirated from the lesion, spread on a glass slide and stained with appropriate stains.
The character of the lesion can be determined by this investigation.

There is no need to anticipate anything.
Consult your primary healthcare provider for investigations if you cannot visit a specialist at the moment.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Thank you I have been making myself sick with fear
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult your primary healthcare provider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Consult your primary healthcare provider as soon as possible.
The lesion may be a non-neoplastic lesion so get the investigations done to rule out malignancy or any other serious disease.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad