Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

148 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes painless lump in calf muscles?

Answered by
Dr. Shailja Puri

Pathologist and Microbiologist

Practicing since :2006

Answered : 7059 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Accident and Emergency
Question: I have a painless lump in my calf muscle that appears when I flex my leg
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Soft tissue lump, MRI needed,consult orthopedician

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting your query on HealthcareMagic.

A lump on the calf when you flex the leg suggests a soft tissue lesion.
The soft tissue lesion appears to arise from the muscle because the lump is changing in prominence on flexing the leg.

A MRI of the leg will help to assess the origin, site and extent of the lesion.
After assessing the features of the lump, appropriate management can be planned.

Consultation with an orthopedician for clinical assessment, investigations and management is suggested.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 1 hour later
I am worried it might be sarcoma . I am a long way from specialist help and will have to wait until I am home over 1400 miles away
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Diagnosis can be made after investigations.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

There is a possibility that the lesion is rising from the muscles.
MRI will determine the site and origin of the lesion.
For further details, an aspiration cytology needs to be done.
In aspiration cytology, cells are aspirated from the lesion, spread on a glass slide and stained with appropriate stains.
The character of the lesion can be determined by this investigation.

There is no need to anticipate anything.
Consult your primary healthcare provider for investigations if you cannot visit a specialist at the moment.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Shailja Puri 3 hours later
Thank you I have been making myself sick with fear
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consult your primary healthcare provider.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome again,

Consult your primary healthcare provider as soon as possible.
The lesion may be a non-neoplastic lesion so get the investigations done to rule out malignancy or any other serious disease.

Thanks and take care
Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Sarcoma

doctor1 MD

hi this is Abhishek singh from india mumbai.i am having a erection problem,no sensation in penis.i had a suergery earlier on 8jan .i was having a high grade sarcoma tumor which was removed.after that they reconstruct my urethra.some part of tumor was touching urethra.they use the method of suprapubic tubic catheter.i wan to know that vaigra will work for me or should i go for penile i dont have cancer.

doctor1 MD

I Was A patient of synovial cell sarcoma.
It was in my right inguinal region.
I received Radiation from KIRAN (Karachi Institute of radiotherapy and nuclear medicine.)
Before that Doctors said to me that there is very much risk of infertility.
Because that area is very near to my testis.
but it would be revers-able.
My Question is Which Doctor Is helpful to me.

doctor1 MD

my husband has had severe back pain and now is having trouble walking. it is worse at night. he went to an othopedic that sent him for an mri and bone scan of back. we were first told he had a turmor in the l3 spine but it did not light up on bone scan. we have now been told he has clear cup lesions and abnormalities in the pelvis, hip, thoratic, lower lumbar and ribs. what are we looking at? we are being sent to a bone and soft tissue tumor specialist.

doctor1 MD

I am a 41 year old woman. I have had a small lump/bump on my right shin for almost two years now. It is about a centimeter wide. It is under the skin, but I can't tell if it is on top of the bone or in the bone. It is painless. When I first...

doctor1 MD

I have had atypical chest pain for the last 4-5 weeks. Was seen by my family practice doctor who ordered EKG, chest xray and holter moniter which only showed a few PVC's. Today I was diagnosed with Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans (DFSP) and am schedule for Mohs surgery. Could my chest pain be related? Possibly my thymus gland has been affected?

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor. I'm a 25 years old male live in Canada and was recently graduated from university. I have noticed a tumor in my right thigh about 3 years ago. It didnt cause any pain at the begging and thats why I honestly neglected it and paid more...

doctor1 MD

I have asked a few times on here already about a hematoma my daughter developed by her spine/next to spine in January. We had MRI with contrast done, xray and ultrasound and the radiologist said its a hematoma, doctor agreed, we also had a surgeon...