What causes painless lump in breast?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor,

My name is XXXX & my age is 27 years. I recently observed a big lump in my left breast & went to Gynec immediately.
This lump is not really painful but at times I do feel discomfort & sometimes like a needle pointing pain.
After having an initial check up, she suspected it to be benign but she still ordered for Diagnostic Mammogram & Breast Ultrasound.
But since my age is less than 30, the radiologists said that they will just perform the Breast Ultrasound.
I am yet to get the final reports but they shared the ultrasound images with me which I am attaching here.
As per what they communicated to me, it looks benign to them as well.
But not sure what the final report would look like.

Could you please have a look at the ultrasound images & let me know your opinion ?
Also, please suggest me the next steps what should be taken for its treatment.
I don't have any Cancer History in my family so far, atleast not known to me.
I don't drink/smoke.
My periods have been irregular since the beginning which usually is delayed by 5-15 days.

Please let me know if any other details are required from my end.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Fibroadenoma likely

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
I have reviewed the ultrasound images.
The lump in the breast seems to be a fibroadenoma.
It is a benign lump which occurs in reproductive age group. It is due to hormonal changes in the body and has no tendency to turn into a cancer.
Since it is a large fibroadenoma, it is preferable to get it removed by surgery.
There is nothing to worry.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 31 minutes later
hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your quick response.
I am feeling really relieved with your answer.
Could you please let me know how critical are these surgeries to remove these fibrodenomas ? Also, are there any risks involved ?
How long this surgery would take & after the surgery , how long will it take for me to resume my normal routine ?

Apologies for my long list of questions.
I am really concerned because currently I am in US for my project assignment.
I will be back to XXXXXXX by end of May . So shall I be going for the surgery here itself or I can wait until I come back.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need to panic

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Surgery for fibroadenoma is simple and safe surgery not involving any major risk.
Surgery is short, and you can resume your normal routine within4-5 days of surgery.
You can wait till end of May to get the surgery done in XXXXXXX Since it is a benign condition, there is no need to panic and wait for the appropriate time and conditions to get surgery done.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma