What causes painful visible vein on left leg?

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I just got home from running erran
ds and I thought I was bit by a mosquito but it doesn't look like a bite it looks like a vein in the back of my left leg and it hurts. It feels like maybe a nerve because it feels weird all the way down to my toes and up to my thigh.
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
it is likely to be a superficial vein

Detailed Answer:

I have read your query and seen the uploaded image. It most likely seems to be a superficial vein that has become more obvious. The area is also inflamed and has a superficial bruit.

Nothing to worry about; just apply ice pack on the area every 2 to 3 hours for a day.
Rest your leg. Keep them elevated. If it hurts much, then you can take a tablet of Panadol or Motrin to get some relief.

It should be gone in a day or two.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Shanthi.E