What causes painful urination?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Tue, 20 Oct 2015 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Hi there I have been having pain when I urinate and it causes discomfort in the shaft of the penis and feels like I need to go again it's very annoying and after I pee it feels like I need to go again but only a bit comes out and I have to push it out. I have been told it prostatis and I'm on ciprofloxacin for a week and I don't feel it working
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It could be due to UTI .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have increased frequency for urination ,urgency ,burning for urination and have been taking Ciprofloxacin since one week but did not get satisfactory improvement .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem
1) Do you pain in lower abdomen or Perineum ?
2) Do you have painful ejaculation ?
3) Have you done ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis ?
4) Have you done urine culture ?

Most of your symptoms suggest that you have UTI however the possibility of Prostatitis has to be ruled out .In both the cases mode of treatment remains the same except duration of treatment ..

Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical and digital rectal examination and get following basic tests done to confirm the diagnosis.
1) Urine routine and culture.
2) Ultrasound scanning of abdomen and pelvis
3) Semen examination and culture .

In the mean while take broad spectrum antibiotics like Cefixime along with urinary antiseptic like Nitrofurantoin twice daily and urine alkalizer thrice daily .Later on switch on to appropriate antibiotics as per culture report.

Get the prescription of medicines from your family Physician.

Ensure to drink more water .To keep your urine dilute This will help to control
dysuria.

Further treatment will depend upon result of these tests and final diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions ,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina