• question-icon

What causes painful urination while on treatment for bronchitis?

Posted on Wed, 1 Jun 2016 in Infections
Question: I have been diagnosed with acute bronchitis--have had a fever for most of the past week, along with head congestion, and a painful, productive cough. I began a z-pack three days ago, and yesterday started experiencing burning with urination and other uti symptoms. Could the symptoms be linked, or could I have gotten a uti even though I'm on antibiotics?
Answered by Dr. R.A. Singh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
get your urine examined.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing your query.
After reading your post, I would suggest that you should get your urine examined for routine / microscopic and culture / sensitivity test.
Urinary Tract Infection ( UTI ) is different from respiratory tract infection and can occur even if you are on antibiotic, especially if the antibiotic is not sensitive for the bacteria causing the UTI.
The causative organism can be different in both the infection and the appropriate antibiotic can be planned according to the reports of the above mentioned investigations.
Drink lots of water daily.
I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further query, I will be happy to help.
Regards. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. R.A. Singh

Emergency Medicine Specialist