What causes painful urination post sexual activity?

Dr. Jacqueline Brown

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi. I just recently got into a relationship and so as my boyfriend and I were getting intimate, he happened to slide two of his fingers inside me and played around with my walls. The problem is..when I now go to the washroom to urinate, its quite painful...almost like I got scratches inside me. And so I got AZO(yeast plus), the tablets to see whether that could help, but I don't know what the problem could be. Could it be that I have an infection? And if so, what medicine would you recommend I use? Please help!
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
I think you may have a urinary tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and I hope I can help you today.

It is not unusual for women to get a urinary tract infection after a lot of sexual activity. The urethra, which is the opening where urine comes out is very close to the top of the opening of your vagina. Chafing of this area by sexual activity can spread bacteria on your skin up into the urethra and cause an infection of your bladder. This causes the pain when you urinate. You may also experience urgency, which is feeling like you have to go even when there is little urine in the balder, or blood in your urine.

Unfortunately the only proper cure for a UTI is an oral antibiotic. Azo will help a little bit and make you feel better but it is not enough to fully kill the bacteria on your urine. Common antibiotics good for UTIs include nitrofurantion, cipro and trimethoprim/sulfa, all twice daily for 3-5 days.

In the meantime until you can get a doctor's prescription, drinking lots of water and cranberry juice (real juice not pills) can help clean out your bladder.

If you have external chafing, plain petroleum jelly can be soothing and crates a waterproof barrier that can help if the urine burns your skin.

I hope I was able to adequately answer you question today and that my advice was helpful. If you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best wishes, Dr. Brown
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Jacqueline Brown 17 minutes later
Yes! The symptoms you described is exactly how I have been feeling. And yes...when I would drink lots of water, it tends to ease the burn when I urinate. I will definitely get the medicines you suggested. I appreciate so much. Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thank you for your kind reply

Detailed Answer:
Thanks so much and I hope you feel better. If you had a positive experience please complete a review at the end of this question. Take care, and thank you again for using Healthcaremagic.com

Sincerely, Dr. Brown
I feel so much better knowing it's a normal thing.
And sure! I'll do so(complete a survey)
Answered by Dr. Jacqueline Brown 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thank you again.

Detailed Answer: