What causes painful urination post intercourse with the history of UTI?

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Women's Health
Question: HELLO I HAVE BEEN HAVING A TERRIBLE XXXXXXX WITH UTI'S RECENTLY I THE WEEK OF MARCH 21ST I TOOK BACTRIM TO GET RID OF ON THEN WAS ON MY PERIOD LAST WEEK ONCE OFF MY PERIOD ON MARCH 31ST. I HAD SEX WITH MY BOYFRIEND ON THE 1ST , RIGHT AFTER I WENT TO PEE AND EXPERIENCED A VERY PAINFUL BURNING, I PRETTY WELL DEALT WITH IT ALL WEEKEND BUT SUNDAY COULDN'T STAND IT ANY LONGER AND I WENT TO THE ER FOR THEM TO TELL ME I DID HAVE ANOTHER UTI, I WAS GIVEN A ROCEPHIN SHOT AND A SCRIPT FOR ANTIBIOTICS TO GET FILLED. HOWEVER I AM STILL EXPERIENCING BURNING WHEN I USE THE RESTROOM, FELT LIKE I HAD AND OPENED WOUND IN MY VAGINA IT HURT WHEN I WIPPED, SO WITH THAT UPON FURTHER INVESTIGATION WAS VERY RED AND IRRTIATED. IM IN A BIT OF A PANIC ON WHAT THIS IS
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The burning is due to the wound on labia.

Detailed Answer:
welcome to Healthcare Magic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.
I have read your notes and seen the film. From the history and the film it appears that there has been injury on the inside of labium during sex. That raw area when comes in contact with urine is causing pain. It doesn't appear to be urinary tract infection.
I suggest you apply Mebo ointment or betadine spray on the wound twice daily. Cover the wound with your hand while voiding urine and see if the burning disappears. If the burning is due to this wound it disappears.
If the burning does not disappear, then you have urinary tract infection. In that case you need to do urine culture sensitivity test and take appropriate antibiotics.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, do write to me. I will be happy to answer.

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 1 hour later
thank you it does help, with the burning, to cover the wound. i did a urin sample just last night at dr said i still do have a uti, but i feel as if the burning id due fome the wound. mebo ointment, i am not sure of what this is or where to get it would like an a&d ointment or monistate ointment work? Also how does this occure, how long will it take to heal, and should i not be having sex will that make it worse.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Do not have sex until the wound heals as it can make it worse.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Good to know that covering the wound is helping you.

Mebo contains botanical components and nutritional ingredients. Probably it is a bit better than a&d ointment. Try using betadine spray. If you don't find it, see if you can get soframycin ointment. If you don't find these you may use a&d ointment after cleaning the wound with dettol.
The wound seems to have occurred due to rough sex. It will take about 5 days to heal. Do not have sex until the wound heals as it can make it worse.

If the urine routine examination is suggestive of UTI, I suggest that you get a urine culture sensitivity test done so that you can take appropriate antibiotics.
I hope this is helpful.
If you have further concerns, do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani
Follow up: Dr. Ramadevi Wani 20 hours later
do you think i need to get this looked at could it be herpes or a std? I am recently divorced and just started seeing this new guy, and we have just started having sex, but it has not really been rough. i have never in my life had anything like this and i am stressed and worried about it
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Herpes is unlikely.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome back.
You started having this burning after sex. So I feel it is just a friction injury.
Herpes ulcers are usually multiple and the ulcers themselves are constantly painful. You say that you have this burning only while passing urine. So I feel that it is unlikely to be Herpes.

However it is good to rule out the possibility of Herpes. Visit a GUM clinic and get virus tissue culture or PCR done.

I hope this is helpful. If you have further concerns do write to me.

Best wishes,
Dr Ramadevi Wani