What causes painful urination after having unprotected sex?
I started having painful urination after having unprotected sex with a women. We had sexual intercourse 3 weeks ago and since then its gotten worse. I went to my gp to get a first pass urine test and came back positive for chlamydia. The gp said that the symptoms should clear up in 8 hrs or so, I had my stat dose of azithromycin prescribed by him approximately 24hrs ago and my symptoms are still persisting. It hurts a lot to pass urine at the start. Im in such agony and fearful when passing urine and its keeping me from going to the toilet frequently. I havent had any symptoms of abdomen pain, or anywhere else. Im not sure what to do ?
It will take 2 weeks for symptoms to go.
Thanks for your query at HCM.
I understand your concern and situation.
As I see you have a Chlamydia is a sexually transmitted disease which you had contacted during sex but it should be treated quickly in order to avoid complications. I see you have taken azithromycin single dose. It is correct treatment which you have been advised. No matter which antibiotic you are take, you will need to follow the dosage instructions carefully to make sure the infection clears up fully. As you told you are having symptoms this is usually takes two weeks at most, during which time you must refrain from sexual contact. Drink plenty of water and fluids at least 2-3 litres it is very important to stay hydrated in order to help flush out bacteria from the urinary tract. Take vitamin C supplement. If pain continue your doctor can prescribe you urinary analgesic like phenazopyridium.
I hope I answered your query.
You can take a follow-up query.
If no clarifications you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Dr. Sheetal Verma
Infectious diseases Specialist
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes burning and painful urination
- What causes lower abdominal pain after urination
- What causes pain during urination
- What causes severe pain in rectum after urination
- What causes bloating after urinating
- What is the cause for continuous urinating after sex
- What causes pain and blood in the urine
- What causes tingling and pain after urination
- What causes pain after urination
- Blood in urine no pain what is causing this
- What causes burning micturition post protected intercourse?
- Suggest treatment for parasitic infection in stomach
- What does the widal test report indicate?
- Suggest treatment for Entamoeba histolytica infection
- Suggest treatment for anxiety disorder and panic attacks
- Suggest treatment for flu with diarrhea and tiredness
- Does the use of condoms cause warts on penis tip?
- Suggest treatment for painful reddish rashes on buttocks and thighs
- What causes low body temperature along with pain in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for recurring fever, chills and dizziness