• question-icon

What causes painful tendinitis post injury after taking levaquin?

Posted on Mon, 9 Jun 2014 in General Health
Question: i hope so - i have a UTI [e-coli], >100,000 colonies, doc prescribed 'Levaquin - 500mg daily. Tendanitis is hurting at my level of injury. 3 out of 10 doses takem so far. I'm 59yrs old / 22 yrs post injury. (complete at C5/C/6 level wih SCI degeneration). Complications with 'Heterotopic Ossification (HO) and severe arthritis (R/A) and pain. Should I stop taking now or continue to my next visit with the VA. - I don't use street drugs, drink or smoke. I have concerns of severe tendinitis with continued use of the Levaquin. Please advise. XXXXXXX . YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Advised to stop taking Levaquin&see your doctor...

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If your tendines at the level of injury have started to ache once you started taking Levaquin, then, I advise to stop taking it before further damages would take place.

As you need to treat your UTI, you should contact your caring doctor as soon as possible to prescribe another antibiotic for your UTI.

Meanwhile, I advise to take herbal supplements (including teas) to treat your UTI until you see your doctor. You can continue taking herbal supplements for UTI even after your doctor would prescribe another antibiotic.

Wish fast recovery! Let me know if you have further clarifications!
Dr.Albana
If you do not have any other query and my answer was at your satisfaction, kindly rate it while closing this discussion. Thank you!
Follow up: Dr. Albana Sejdini 7 hours later
As the Heterotopic Ossification (HO) (from my left hip to my left knee) has been causing extreme pain. What is the recommended course of action for treating the H.O.?
As a C-5/6 Quadriplegic, will the bone growth stop on its own / what medications are effective in treating this condition?

Thank you very much for your help.
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need more medical data...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back XXXXXXX

Thank you for following up.

Heterotopic Ossification is referring to bones growing at abnormal sites, i.e. soft tissues, etc.

As you are C-5/6 Quadriplegic, I should know first if it was caused by HO or due to trauma (accident). There are different types of HO, one of which includes traumatic HO. That's why I am asking to clarify this data.

Furthermore, I need to have more of your medical data, lab reports, examinations you did in order to give an appropriate answer.

It is important to understand/determine the stage of your HO before advising on treatment strategies!

Looking forward to have the requested data in!
Dr.Albana
Dr. Albana Sejdini