What causes painful swollen jaw, shingles, cellulitis, and anxiety?

Dr. Neha Sumra

Dentist

Posted on Sat, 31 Oct 2015 in Dental Health
Question: I have an underlying infection somewhere in my body. I believe it is in my jaw/facial area due to the fact that my jaw was swollen a couple weeks ago. There wasn't any pain the day of the swelling. However, the day before, I had a few moments of stabbing pain up under my jaw between my jawline and my neck. I have since been diagnosed with a tooth infection, salivary gland infection, shingles, cellulitis, and anxiety! I have a fever (up to 101.8), chills, pain in my jaw, neck, head, ear, and as far down as my chest. Everything has been on the left side except for the headache which is everywhere and especially bad at my temples. Today, though, I have pain in my left teeth, under my tongue, my throat, and now 2 red bumps on my neck and 1 on my jaw on my right side! I have 1 under my jaw on my left, also. Of course, I am now desperate and trying to find out what is wrong because everyone seems to be guessing at this point. I think I have a staph infection originating in my mouth and now even appearing on my skin near my head and face (I just noticed a very painful bump at the base of my head, too). Does this seem possible? Any ideas of what it may be or what to do?? I am desperate! I am so miserable and the doctors seem to not want to figure it out. I saw my pcp today and my temp was 100.4 in his office and my bp was 98/54. I feel like this is all through my body! He prescribed me Ativan and told me to take tylenol to break the fever (I have a temp even with the tylenol). Please help! Also, is there a way to find or recommend a doctor near me?? Thank you for your time!
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Abscessed tooth in lower left region causing lymphadenopathy

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing in.

As per your history , it could be an abscessed tooth in lower left back region that has caused lymph node enlargement along with raised temperature.
You need to visit your nearest dentist & get you complete dental check up done.
As per my opinion affected tooth might need extraction or apicectomy.
You need to maintain your blood pressure before proceeding for extraction.
Meanwhile you may start with amoxi-clav 625 twice a day along with diclo-para-serratio combination thrice a day.

Do not worry all will be fine.

Hope I answered your query

Wishing you good health

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 39 hours later
Thank you Dr. Sumra!

The dentist advised me to go to the ER and ask for a one-time heavy dose of iv Clindamycin. The ER isn't keen on humoring a patient with verbal orders from a dentist and my pcp will not intervene and order iv clindamycin. The ER doctor did give me a prescription for 150 mg clindamycin, though. Will that be sufficient? Thank you!
Brief Answer:
Yes its fine

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Generally clindamycim is given in a dose of 150 mg twice day.Still its ok if he wants to start with 150mg.Follow the instructions.

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Neha Sumra 29 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Neha Sumra 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
If you are satisfied by my answers then kindly visit my page & give your reviews along with 5 stars rating.

Get well soon

Dr. Neha Sumra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina