What causes painful swollen frenulum and excessive saliva in mouth?

Posted on Wed, 26 Nov 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My frenulum started hurting this morning and it is red and swollen and it seems like I have more than normal saliva in my mouth.
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details required

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

I would require few more details to answer better in this regard.
1.Did you have similar problem in recent past?
2.Do you have other symptoms too like pain,fever and swollen glands under your neck?
3.Please mention if you are taking any other medications,any history of blood pressure or sugar?
4.If possible please attach an image of lesion here for view.
Awaiting response.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Anshumala Singh 14 hours later

1. I've never had a problem like this before. I just had my teeth cleaned and check up last month, nothing was seen or mentioned to me.

2. I have a slight congestion with soreness in my neck around my glands, but no fever.

3. I'm not taking any medications, have no history of blood pressure (always been on the low side), or sugar.

4. see photos
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
Salivary gland duct obstruction

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thanks for reply.

Based upon the pictures sent, and the given history, It appears that there is obstruction in the salivary glands beneath the frenulum. It could be sub mental gland or sub mandibular too. This occurs due to accumulation of small salivary deposits in the gland duct.This requires cleaning.A similar phenomenon of mucocele is also common with patient,but in your case swelling is too less to predict mucocele. Therefore clinical evaluation is needed.

This is the reason for pooling of saliva in your mouth.There is superimposed infection too. Therefore the frenulum appears red and swollen.

There is nothing to worry,please see your dentist and get a small course of antibiotics prescribed.Let it get evaluated clinically with the help of x ray too.
Then wait for a week and see the results.

It should heal,in case if the problem persists or if you find changes in the swelling(increases)then see your dentist for getting evaluated for mucocoele.
Follow oral hygiene measures and do warm saline rinses three to four times daily.
Hope it helps.

Let me know for further doubts.

Thanks.

Dr. Anshumala Singh

Dentist