What causes painful swelling in the temple region while suffering from tooth infection?

Dr. Honey Arora

Dentist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Dental Health
Question: I've had a tooth infection for about a week I took about 15 antibiotics and tooth pain went away now I have pain in my head by my temple and it's swelled up there.. is this an emergency situation?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs treatment of the tooth..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Thanks for the query..

As per your complain the swelling can be due to flaring up of infection in the tooth..

But before I can advise you how to proceed for the treatment I would like to know a few more details..
Please answer the following questions..

1.Do you have swelling over the cheek also or is it it on the temple region?
2.Is the tooth again painful?
3.Do you have any other symptoms along with pain and swelling of temple?
4.Can you please tell which tooth was infected, upper or lower jaw tooth and front or back tooth?
5.Do you have any medical problems or are you on any medications?

Please revert back with answers..

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 4 minutes later
the swelling is only by my temple and pain only in that area it was a top back tooth I'm on 150 mg methadone a day
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems related to the tooth Infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

Thanks for writing back..

Well, as it is top back tooth, the swelling over temple can be due to infection progressing from the infected tooth area to temporal space..
Do not worry, consult a Physician and get evaluated and a course of antibiotics and anti-inflammatory painkillers like Ibuprofen will be advised for relieving swelling and pain..

Once the swelling goes down you should consult an Oral Physician/Dentist and get evaluated and the infected tooth should also be treated..
This is must to be done as antibiotics can temporarily reduce Infection and the symptoms can subside but the symptoms can flare up again and cause recurring symptoms..

Please write back for further queries..

Regards..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 22 hours later
how often can I take antibiotics I've been taking every 4 hours. is that too much? I just seen on the news a 26 yr old male had a toothache and went to the ER and they gave him antibiotics and sent him on his way he was in new York and he was traveling to California and by the time he got to Utah he started having trouble breathing and went to a hospital there in Utah and died hours later. I'm afraid this will happen to me cus I'm 28 years old and have same problem
Brief Answer:
Please provide following details..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

Please tell which antibiotic you are taking and in how much dosage?

But taking antibiotics every 4 hours is not generally seen, so ease provide details so that I can guide you better..

As far as worrying about symptoms similar to other individuals that is fearing you is not necessary in all cases..

There must be some related problems with the other person you are talking about like severe anaphylactic reaction..

As you are taking antibiotics without any problems till now, you should not think of all that..

Please provide details so that I can guide you..

Hope this helps..

Regards..
I'm taking amoxicillin 500 mg I provided a pic of pain location could it be lymph nodes?
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take three times a day..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
Welcome back..

You should take Amoxicillin 500mg three times a day as it is enough and appropriate for tooth infection..

Taking every 4 hours is not needed..

I have not received any image till now, please upload it again..

Follow up: Dr. Honey Arora 10 minutes later
here is the pain
Answered by Dr. Honey Arora 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Not due to tooth infection..

Detailed Answer:
Hi..
The area marked is not related to your tooth infection..

Please consult an ENT expert and get evaluated along with an x ray to confirm the diagnosis..

As of now continue taking amoxicillin for another 5 days and by this time you should see s physician..

Please write back for further queries..

Hope this helps..

Regards.