What causes painful swelling in the lower limb joints long after hip surgery?

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 22 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had a broken hip repaired 1 year ago. Surgery went fine but still have painful swelling in the repaired calf, foot, and ankle. This is my right leg. Other leg is totally normal. I am 5' 3" and weigh 130#. No diabetes. Surgeon and primary care physician says this sometimes happens but no suggestions except elevation and compression stocking. I am doing both. Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lower limb joint arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there,

Thanks for the query

It's quite possible that you may be having arthritis of the right lower limb joints.

Avoid full weight bearing. Walk with support. Use a walking stick while walking, if required. Apply elastic crepe bandage from foot up to the mid-thigh.

There's a need to take repeat X-rays of the painful region including knee and ankle joints.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Aashish Raghu 20 hours later
I am certain this is not due to arthritis in my foot. It only happened on that leg and after hip repair surgery. The only discomfort is from the swelling, no joint pain in the foot or ankle. ,The undamaged leg and foot are perfectly normal. Please consider other possibilities
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Vitamin B5 deficiency can be another possibility

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for the reply.

Since tests for blood clot is already negative, there's a need to rule out Vitamin B-complex deficiency especially the B5 which can cause similar symptoms. Do consult your Doctor in this regard.

You may take Tablet Neurobion forte twice a day for a month. It's mostly available over the counter.