What causes painful swelling in the leg?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: my father 84 fell on his right knee end of last week the knee had 2 small abrasions and bruising. We took him to Doctor and told us it was not broken and with rest ,ice, it would get better and the knee did. Two days later his above the ankle swelled up and was hot to touch and he is experiencing a lot of pain. We thought maybe it was gout or an infection. His nurse thought maybe gout. He's resting now with ice the only thing that helps.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be infection or thrombosis.

Detailed Answer:
The appearance of swelling of the leg with pain can be due to an infection or a deep vein thrombosis. The pain is less likely to be due to an injury that happened one week ago.
This needs a direct examination by an orthopedician and investigations like color doppler and MRI scan to find the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal