• question-icon

    What causes painful swelling in the left leg along with testicular discomfort?

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am a 51 year old male. I'm concerned I may have a bacterial infection. Quite possibly due to an enlarged prostate. I have never been diagnosed with cancer. Symptoms, discomfort, and pain began on Sunday, XXXXXXX 4 and have worsened. I went to an urgent care facility within the last 2 days. No cause was diagnosed based on symptoms I described, but they did say it was possibly viral. Primarily soreness in my legs. (Quadriceps, hamstrings, even gluteals to a noticeable but lesser extent) Pain is more pronounced in my left leg and knee. Pain is not due to physical activity, exercise or exertion. Before bed, my left leg is noticeably swollen. Right leg, not swollen. Within the last day and a half I've noticed very minor discomfort in my left testicle. It feels different. Perhaps a bit hard. My first suspicion was a bug bite. No evidence. I considered a blood clot but after discussing with someone on the phone from my healthcare provider, my symptoms do not match per our discussion. I considered possible thrombosis, but am now wondering if the pain and discomfort I am feeling isn't bacterial. Pain and discomfort are variable throughout the day ranging from a 1 to a 6. I am not running a temperature as far as I know. I have no thermometer to tell, but I don't feel hot. I will not be able to see my primary care Physician until Friday afternoon, XXXXXXX 16. I'm just wondering if or when I should go to an emergency room?
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No need to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. I would insist you not to panic. None of the mentioned complaints indicate that you could be suffering from a bacterial infection. However, it is unlikely that a bed bug will cause a change in the consistency of your testis. I would therefore insist you to visit a doctor and to get it clinically evaluated. I do not suppose that thrombosis could be involved.

An enlarged prostate can be a common finding at an age like yours. It is likely to be due to benign hyperplasia of prostate (BHP).

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :1954

Answered : 4439 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Hyperplasia

doctor1 MD

i am post menopausal for 2 years. I was bleeding for 1 week. I have a 1.5 cm hypoechoic right ovary cystic lesion. . I am 55 years old and very...

doctor1 MD

I have been diagnosed with endometrial hyperplasia (no atypical cells) after being on Estrace for a cancelled Frozen Embryo Transfer. I also have...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am healthy,active 53 year old. My OBGYN did a biopsy last year because during my annual exam I had blood (end of period) everything was fine....

doctor1 MD

I have experienced hand tremors for about ten years and was diagnosed with an essential tremor. My hand tremors have got worse over the past two...

doctor1 MD

Hi there, Wondering if you could interpret some flow cytometry results for me. I am a 27-year-old female who recently underwent lingual...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I vomit after have 2-3 drinks, doesn't matter what drinks they are. this has only been a problem for the last couple of years. I'm 36 and was...

doctor1 MD

My son is 12w these dx.+ Anxiety , pain in leg, extremeties wfatigue.We have fam hx Cancer, CLL, A-fib, amyloidosis . Pls explained what his T/ B...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

156 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha
  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe loose motion

  • Q - Is there any cure for degenerative mucoid cyst associated with...

  • Q - Suggest treatment for chronic severe diarrhea and stomach pain

  • Q - Does Klonopin of a different brand cause any adverse reactions?

  • Q - What causes unusual sweating?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for joints pain in a person with IBS

  • Q - What are the side effects of Superglue injection?

  • Q - Suggest remedy for excessive dryness in mouth

  • Q - Is restarting of Casodex advisable after stopping it?

  • Q - Suggest treatment for severe constipation