What causes painful swelling in the groin area?

Dr. Suma Parinam

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I woke up this morning and my groin area was very swollen. I am experiencing pain in my testicles, especially while walking. Can you please help?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Emergency ultrasound

Detailed Answer:

I understand the situation you are in.
Is the pain all of a sudden? is there swelling of testicles? Are you sexually active for last few days?
did you get hurt in that region?
Any pain in the testicles, we see it as emergency especially in young man like you..
I suggest an immediate examination and ultrasound of the testis.
Pl answer my question.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 20 hours later
I only feel pain while walking

I think so but its hard to tell because my scrotum is swollen

No, not that recently

No

Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 47 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound of scrotum and abdomen

Detailed Answer:
hi

sorry for delay.

you should get ultrasound scan of abdomen and scrotum as soon. I suspect an injury to the scrotum. on the basis of contents and size of it treatment depends.

let me know the result of abdomen.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 21 hours later
Hi, I visited a doctor today and after an examination I was diagnosed with orchitis. Unfortunately, I was told there is no cure but I can use ice to help reduce the swelling.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pain killers, ice and antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

We knew it to be orchitis the whole idea of doctor visit was to find the reason for orchitis. Is it because of infection, injury and is it the fluid that increased the size of testis.

However you can use pain killers like Ibuprofen for pain, ice for swelling size. Viral orchitis spontaneously respond with symptomatic treatment.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 17 hours later
I gave a call to the doctor today and was told they believe it to be a viral infection of my testicles.

I asked them about the swelling in my penis which they were unsure about. I am supposed to follow up with them in a few days to see if I am still having symptoms.
Brief Answer:
FOLLOW UP

Detailed Answer:
I think you should rest. consume more fluids to flush out any residual infection. ice application and pain killers would be helpful. It takes a week to reduce the pain n swelling. tight undergarments help with pain.

follow with your doctor.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 2 days later
My condition is improving but because of the swelling I have not been able to retract my foreskin for a few days now. Is this normal?
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Sounds normal

Detailed Answer:
hi

you cannot retract foreskin and it's normal. all the neighbour tissues are under inflammation so you cannot really masturbate as well.

it takes another two weeks.
Follow up: Dr. Suma Parinam 22 minutes later
Ok, that makes sense. Is there anything I can do to make sure it doesn't get infected? I am a little worried because I usually clean the tip of my penis in the shower each day.
Answered by Dr. Suma Parinam 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Just soap water cleaning

Detailed Answer:
Hi, You can just clean with soap and water. It is widely accepted way to prevent infection.