What causes painful swelling in armpit?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 3 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: Hi. My armpit is very painful (pricking pain)with a soft and small swelling. Is it normal? It started just on the first day of my periods.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most probably a boil.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
The very painful, soft, small swelling in the armpit is most probably a boil. Since it stretches the skin and involved the nerves ending it becomes very painful and there can be Burning sensation too.
This may no be related to the periods at all.

I would advise you the following:
Clean the area with soap and plenty of water, make the area dry using hair dryer.
Apply liquid povidone iodine the the whole area, this makes the skin sterile.
Take Ibuprofen if it suits you, at 8 hourly interval with food.
I think this may get resolved or may need an antibiotic too if the swelling or pain or redness increases. (you need a prescription for antibiotic).

I hope this answers your query and helps in proper diagnosis and treatment.