• question-icon

What causes painful skin boils after an insect bite?

Posted on Mon, 23 May 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: could this be Necrotizing fasciitis (NF)
My partner had a scratch from some coral in Brazil
after 10 days his leg swoll up and other swellings appeared on his knee ,they were drained and cleaned regularily and healing commenced
He was admitted to a tropical disease hospital in Goiania and dischaged with a 10 day very strong anti biotic
All cleared up until another week passed and another boil on his thigh appeared
He has now returned to XXXXXXX and has developed 2 more boils under his arm which we cleaned out and are healing aswell as the leg boil
A worry though is that a lump has developed on the left side of his nose with extreme pain
there is no head and has a darker colour
he has had headaches and fever too
please can you let me know what we should do next
if anything
Since his return from Brazil I have developed a boil on my upper thigh too
which makes me think it might be a streptaccocl ???
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload an image of this infection/boil for review!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this infection you both have suffered since visiting Brazil. I have reviewed this information fully. Though much information is lacking to say what the exact infection type is, it is unlikely that this is necrotizing fasciitis. NF is s severe infection and spreads underneath an apparently healthy skin. It will take extremely luck to treat it without extensive surgery and prolonged hospitalization. I believe he had a soft tissue infection but not to the extend of NF. To further shed more light on this, please kindly upload an image for review.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Ivo Ditah