What causes painful right arm and shoulder after a twist in shoulder joint?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Dear doctor

Im practising martial art and while i was sparring i made a quick move on my upper body and then my right arm and shoulder hurt alot that i couldnt rise it up i went to local hospital and they made an x ray and told me that i twisted my shoulder joint now its my 1 week and half and the pain reduced i can move my arm in any angle but when i left my arm up i feel a little pain on shoulder in first week i took voltarine and antiflamigue cream so what should i do to make it feel better and stop the pain sobthatvi can continue my practise
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Back Pain

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rotator cuff tear likely.

Detailed Answer:
The twist in your shoulder joint must have caused a tear in the rotator cuff that is causing you the pain now. An MRI scan will help in confirmation of diagnosis.
If the pain is not such intense, you may consider waiting for few more days. Ice the affected part frequently. Avoid any activities involving the affected shoulder and definitely no physical exercises, pushing and pulling. Anti-inflammatory treatment like topical pain balms application and oral drugs like Advil (ibuprofen) 400mg twice a day after food will give added relief.

I would strongly recommend you to visit an orthopedic surgeon for a thorough examination and also a diagnostic MRI of left shoulder for a definite diagnosis.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What causes painful right arm and shoulder after a twist in shoulder joint? 10 minutes later
Thank you doctor for your response i talked to my doctor and said there is no tearing just give it 3 weeks maximum to recover

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Take rest for 3 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The tear can only be diagnosed after an MRI scan. It is best to avoid any exercise and give full rest to any overhead activities for 3 weeks to help in healing.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.