question-icon

What causes painful reddish lump on armpit?

Posted on Thu, 12 May 2016
Question: Hi! 2 days ago, I woke up around midnight with my armpit throbbing...I looked in the mirror and found a red pea sized lump. It hurts...of course Ive been touching it a lot. I see my dr this afternoon. But, Im freaking out that its cancer! I'm 47...We have no cancer in the family. What could it be? Im super scared!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (23 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Its an abscess.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Most likely its an abscess. It appears due to infection of the hair follicles. It can be triggered by shaving in this area.
For sure its not a lymph node.

You should consult general surgeon. It might need incision and drainage.

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (1 hour later)
My arm now hurts and its bigger than a nickel. My husband tried to squeeze it but nothing came out. There is no head to squeeze! could it be because he squeezed it and that made it MUCH worse?? thanks!
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Yes he could make it worse.

Detailed Answer:
Yes, he could do it worse squeezing it. Please consult a surgeon.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon