question-icon

What causes painful reddish abscess near the nail fold?

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018
Question: Hi i have had this boil/abscess near my finger nail for the past 5 days. i applied fucicort and covered it, but it has not gone away.its reddish and painful. please advise
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Paronychia. Oral and topical antibiotics

Detailed Answer:

I have noted your concern and I have viewed the image. You seem to have Acute Paronychia - inflammation of the nail fold.
I suggest you to start an oral antibiotic e.g. either Amoxicillin or Cephalexin, thrice daily for a week.

In addition to this you may apply a topical antibiotic e.g. either Neosporin ointment or Mupirocin ointment, twice daily. You may also take an oral anti inflammatory e.g tab Ibuprofen, twice daily for symptomatic relief from pain.

Dr. Kakkar S.,
Dermatologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist