What causes painful red bumps on the tongue?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have been on two courses of antibiotics and now have a problem with my tongue..my taste s affected and my tongue is sore and red. wondering about oral thrush?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it is definitely possible

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is possible that oral thrush is developing, this is usually associated with a white coating on the tongue but in some cases the only changes may be redness and discomfort.

Antibiotics alter the normal body flora and can cause both oral thrush or vaginal yeast infections in women.

Treatment of oral thrush involves the use of anti fungal agents such as nystatin , miconazole oral (daktar), clotrimazole (mycelex troches).
A prescription for one of these would be needed from your doctor.

This infection normally responds well to treatment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions