What causes painful rash on lower back?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Thu, 14 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My Bf has this rash on his lower back on the left hand side. He is in pain saying his back is hurting but we dont know if its from the rash or not. What could this possibly be???
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
it appears to be shingles

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

The rash and pain are related to shingles also known as herpes zoster.

This occurs in persons with a previous history of chicken pox. Once a person had a history of chicken pox (usually in childhood), the virus remains in the system and re emerges sometime later as shingles.

This is more common, however in older persons but it is possible in anyone with a chicken pox history.

It is treated with the use of pain killers. The normal pain killers can be used as well as those that are used for nerve related pain.
Anti seizure meds and anti depressants are also used for treated of nerve pain. In addition to their original action, these meds have been found to help persons with this problem.
Examples are gabapentin, tegretol, amitriptyline. A prescription is needed for these.

If this is not possible then he can try normal anti inflammatory pain killers such as ibuprofen, naproxen.

In addition, there is a vaccine that is used to reduce the chance of recurrent episodes of shingles. He should consider asking his doctor about this possibility.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions