What causes painful menstruation?
detailed answer below
Thanks for writing to healthcare magic.
Painful periods can be due to a variety of reasons like fibroid uterus, adenomyosis or infection of uterus and ovaries.
Are the periods heavy? How long does the flow last? Do you have any discharge per vagina?
Did you have an ultrasound recently?
Please write back with details so that I can help better.
tab mefenamic acid and tranexamic acid for pain
Thanks for writing back.
You can take the following medicine after discussing with your physician.
Tab mefenamic acid thrice a day and tab tranexamic acid thrice a day. Usually this drug is available as a combination in a single tablet. Taken during period
this should reduce your bleeding by significant amount and also reduce your pain.
Considering that you bleed heavily you should also take some iron supplements and multivitamins along with a iron rich diet.
Now to assess the reason for the painful period you will need a pelvic ultrasound better if done transvaginally. Usually heavy flow and pain during periods are due to uterus fibroids.
Besides any cause of pain like endomtriosis or ovarian cysts are diagnosed better.
Once diagnosed then you can be treated appropriately.
Also you mentioned that you have gained weight.
You should get a blood thyroid profile tests done.
Hope this was helpful.
Please write back with any queries .I will be glad to help.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What could be the cause of delayed menstruation
- What is the cause of spotting instead of menstruating
- What causes oily orange menstruation
- What causes stomach pain and headache during menstruation
- Pain during menstruation causes
- What causes absence of menstruation
- Will meprate cause painful menstruation
- Extended menstruation what are the causes
- Change in menstruation what are the causes
- What is the cause of wrist pain during menstruation