What causes painful menstruation, clotted bleeding and bulky uterus?

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hi, I am 31 years old and suffer severe pain during periods passing clots as well. Got it checked with a gyno, scan, pap smear and hb tests were done, scan showed bulky uterus with thickened endometrium. Rest other tests were fine. Gyno prescribed pain killers SOS.I have 3 years old daughter. She also asked us to plan our second baby early. My doubt is how early we need to plan, what are complications involved and isn't there any treatment for bulky uterus? Uterus measured 97*58*48 mm, endometrial thickness 12 mm.
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 51 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

Thanks for trusting us about your health care.
I can understand your concern here.
I have gone through your history and in my opinion you should go for further testing for your problem.
You should go for hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy to rule out the cause of bulky uterus and thickened endometrium.
Most common causes at your age can be due to hormonal imbalance,fibroid,adenomyosis,cervical cancer, polyp, infection, PCOS and DUB etc.
You should go for hormonal profile also.
Actually bulky uterus and thickened endometrium can be due to unopposed action of estrogen hormone so your doctor opinion is right when you plan for pregnancy , your symptoms may subside.
You can plan as early as possible but before planning in my opinion you should go for hysteroscopy and endometrial sampling.
Hope it is useful, feel free to discuss more questions.
Good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN