What causes painful menstrual period?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Wed, 7 May 2014 in Women's Health
Question: Hi.. I am suffering from menstrual cramps and have been taking meftal spas (1-3 tablets per cycle) for the past 5 yrs. Nowadays, meftal spas is not helping with the pain and its become very unbearable. One of my friends suffering from the same problem and suggested that i takd meftal forte. She has been taking it for a long time and has no side effects. But i read some very bad reviews and side effects of meftal forte online. Please suggest if it is actually safe to take meftal forte.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer: MEFTAL FORTE IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO YOU. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for writing to us on Healthcare Magic. Dysmenorrhea (painful menstrual period) is a most common medical condition in reproductive age group women. It may be Primary or spasmodic type without any specific organic disease and Secondary type with underlying uterine/ pelvic pathology. Other least possible causes could be Pelvic or vaginal infection, Pelvic Inflammatory Disease, Using IUD (if any) etc. Here, you need to undergo some investigation like pelvic ultrasound scan and Urine examination- routine & culture, blood sugar, complete blood count, vaginal swab test etc to pinpoint the diagnosis. Proper treatment depends on diagnosis of the case. COMBINED HORMONAL PILL (like FEMILON etc) is the BEST treatment in resistance case of Dysmenorrhea. MEFTAL FORTE contains Mefenamic acid and Paracetamol as active ingredients. As you have past H/O rash on taking CROCIN, I wouldn't recommended MEFTAL FORTE or any combination with Paracetamol. Kindly, consult with gynecologist for proper prescription. Some general guidelines should be followed to get effective result from current condition: 1) Improvement of general health and simple psychotherapy with explanation of the fact and assurance which helps to increase the pain threshold. 2) Bowel should be kept empty. Drink plenty of fluid/ water/ juice. Take healthy diet with more vegetables in small amount at least 6 times. 3) Total avoidance of tea/ coffee/ fast food/ salt from the second half of the cycle (after day 14) till period is over. 4) Try to avoid mental stress, depression or upset by meditation or yoga. Light exercise is also useful in this condition. Maintain genital hygiene properly. 5) You can start with anti spasmodic medicine like combined Mefenamic acid and Drotaverine 2 to 3 times daily till pain subsides. Alternate hot and cold compression around back region is also useful. Hope, this information is quite helpful to you. Kindly, close the discussion if you don't have any other query. Wish your good health and take care yourself. Regards, Dr Soumen For future query, you can directly approach me through http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326