What causes painful menstrual cramps?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I experience extremely painful menstrual cramps that don't allow me to sleep at night for 2-3 days when I have my period. Is this normal? Also, my period was early 2 months in a row, should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be pelvic infection or endometriosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The condition you are describing is called dysmenorrhoea.

It is seen commonly in most women. All most 95 -97% women face such problems. If there are no disturbances in your periods or if you have no other associated symptoms such as vaginal discharge, fever, difficulties while passing urine and so on, there is no reason to worry.
Having periods slightly earlier than normal for 2 cycles can be a normal variation. No need to worry.
As far as treating pain is concerned, I would suggest you to consult a gynecologist for physical examination. Following evaluation, he/she can prescribe you antispasmodic drug which can prevent pain. Endometriosis and pelvic infection may need to be ruled out.

In the mean time, home measures such as hot compresses over the lower abdomen and massages can help. Over the counter analgesics such as ibuprofen can be useful on some occasions.

Be assured it is not a serious problem and will be redressed by assurance and proper treatment.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D