What causes painful lump in buttock?

Dr. Sudhir

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a painful lump on my but cheek. It is about 4 inches long by about an inch and a half.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like gluteal abscess.

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms suggest you have a gluteal abscess.

First line of treatment with antibiotics for infection and painkiller to relieve pain would be helpful.

If there is head formation or discharge through the lump , then it is always suggestible to get such abscess drained completely or else the nidus infection remains within the undrained portion and it can lead to recurrence.

If it persists after these medication also you should consider surgical drainage with consultation of your doctor.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.