Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

190 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

What causes painful lump in buttock?

Answered by
Dr. Sudhir

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :2000

Answered : 1417 Questions

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have a painful lump on my but cheek. It is about 4 inches long by about an inch and a half.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like gluteal abscess.

Detailed Answer:
Your symptoms suggest you have a gluteal abscess.

First line of treatment with antibiotics for infection and painkiller to relieve pain would be helpful.

If there is head formation or discharge through the lump , then it is always suggestible to get such abscess drained completely or else the nidus infection remains within the undrained portion and it can lead to recurrence.

If it persists after these medication also you should consider surgical drainage with consultation of your doctor.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

Recent questions on  Gluteal abscess

doctor1 MD

Kindly confirm in below case weather the illness was due to injury. 34 yrs old male patient, c/o Gluteal abscess , as per received Medical certificate from treating doctor there was H/o blunt injury to gluteal region leads to Gluteal Abscess. his...

doctor1 MD

I have been suffering from rashness and inflammation in my groin and around anus area.I used to sit for long time on hard cushion for more than 6 months.My family doctor examine for me piles in my anus but it is not there.For fissures he...

doctor1 MD

hi any body there ? Hi doctor I have a big heat boil on the bottom on the left is hard and big and is filled with puss and is making life difficult as i am unable to sit or sleep . What medicine do you recommend for the pain and to burst...

doctor1 MD

My husband had an gluteal abscess and he was hospkitalised to under go incision and drainage the first time he taken ijc. piptaz 4.5 gm,inj amikacin 500mg,inj metrogyl 500mg .this was continued for 10 days.after 22 days from incision it was sutured amd now he taking imipenam and cilastatin inj. 1g
but the pharmacy have no stock for imipenam 1g. so they give me 2 bottle of 500 mg.they are giving imipenam 3g daily in every 8 hours and also metrogyl 500 is also used.but even now the pus is coming out from the sutured it any infection.

doctor1 MD

Hello there, I am having a slight confusion and needed some advice on which speciality doctor that I need to visit. Last year around this time, I was admitted into the hospital for a surgery . It was removal left gluteal abscess . It was about a size of a palm. Now it have healed but I ve felt the same pain like a year ago but at a lower location of the Scar of it. Could it have recurred again ? Should I revisit the general surgeon or should I visit a dermatologist . I can feel the pain it s quite deep. Thank you

doctor1 MD

my son who is 36 has a rash and there is a swollen area under his butt feels like someone runs sandpaper across this area. He also says it felt like he had torn a muscle in his thigh. The balls of his feet are starting to swell. The doc at the clinic gave him some antibiotics for 5 days and said he has a bacterial infection......does this make sense?

doctor1 MD

Hello my name is Janisa Johnson yesterday afternoon my nine month old daughter was seen for an abscess on her bottom they made an incision and only a little bit of pus I believe has come out. This morning when I went to change her the entire area was inflamed and hard. She's on the antibiotics but I have seen no drainage in her diaper is this normal?