What causes painful legs and back?

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Hi, My name is XXXXXXX and I am 53 years old. I have recently started taking the medicine Victosa for Diabetes. But for the past three years I have had a problem with my lower back (more in the hip area) and my legs. When I sit for a period of time and then get up to walk I can put all my weight on my legs I have to stand and easily start to move. If I walk for a period of time my legs and hips hurt so bad it almost makes me sick at my stomach. I have mentioned this to my doctor and he says its my sugar. I have legs cramps behind my knees that run to my ankles. Sometime after a night of these legs cramps and aches my legs are sore to the touch. Whats your thought
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be a nerve problem

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have studied your case and I believe you are having these symptoms due to neurological causes. It can be due to following.
1. Nerve compression in spine - You might be having nerve compression in spine which is called lumbar canal stenosis and because of that you have complain of pain after you walk for few steps. It can be confirmed by MRI.
2. There can be Diabetic Neuropathy which is due to high sugar damaging your nerves and decreasing vitamin B 12 level in blood.This may be the reason of cramps in calf. it can be checked by serum B 12 estimation.
My suggestion to you is to get your lumbar spine MRI and serum B 12 estimation. This will help us in further management. meanwhile I advise following tablets in my patients with similar complains.
1.Tablet Pregabalin and Methylcobal daily.
2.Tablet calcium and vitamin D daily
You can start then after consulting with your doctor.
I hope these measures will help you. Let me know if you want to ask any further question.
Thanks and take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj