What causes painful itchy blisters on the hands of a teenager?

Posted on Mon, 13 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello,
My 15 year old daughter has painful, ithcy, small blisters on her hands most on her palms and between fingers but there are some on the back of her fingers and her palms and finger tips are a bit red. Her fingers are swollen and has pain in knucles. It hurts in general but making a fist or trying to pick up things increases her pain.
Thank you for any advice,
email: YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can you upload an image for review?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for reaching out to healthcare magic.

I am so sorry to hear about the rash your daughter has. Rash could result from an infection, allergy, etc. With rash, seeing and reviewing is very important. This helps us avoid generic responses which may not exactly apply in your case. For this reason, I suggest that you upload an image to us for review. This way, I can send a personalized and helpful response to you.

To upload an image, simply click on the link to upload a file and follow the instructions. If this proves difficult, please send the image by mail to YYYY@YYYY and request that the image should be uploaded to your query.

I do promise to get back to you with more insights and helpful recommendations as soon as the requested information gets here.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 24 hours later
Hello Doctor Ditah,
I attempted to up load 3 photos. The photos shows the blister like rash and how her skin is bumpy looking. Her fingers are normally long and very slender...I hope you can see the swelling, it most noticable in the knuckles closest to her finger nails in the photos.
She is at least 5'8" tall and thin. She eats lots of oranges, many other kinds of fruit...and has a vigorous appetite...all of which is seems to be genetic as I and my siblings were (and still) the same when her age, tall, thin and a big appetite.
Please let me know if you did not receive 3 photos.
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 18 hours later
Brief Answer:
Difficult too tell what the exact cause of this rash is!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the images. I have received 6 in all.

It is difficult to establish the cause of this rash from the images. My thinking is that this might represent an allergy or a possible viral infection.

Though the cause is not exactly clear, there are thing which can be done to alleviate and assure healing. Apply a local antiseptic lotion; keep the hands clean and dry and avoid touching water often will help with healing. If she has itches, I will suggest that she takes Benadryl 25mg every 8hours for relief. Should the rash spread further, I will recommend that she sees a dermatologist for further review.

I hope this helps. Let me now what you think and kindly update me about her progress and response to these measures proposed.

Kind regards!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Chobufo Ditah