What causes painful intercourse with abnormal vaginal discharge and itching?

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: I have yellow dischage and painful intercourse along with burning when peeing sometimes and itching what could cause this
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There may be multiple infections present...

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the question. Let's start by simplifying what is going on. I would break this down into the following three complaints:

1. Painful intercourse
2. Vaginal discharge and itching
3. Painful urination

I believe that the painful intercourse is probably the result of one or both of the other problems. First, a vaginal discharge with itching is almost certainly related to a yeast infection. These are common and easily treated over the counter or with oral medications from your doctor. The painful urination is possibly related to a bladder infection so you should get evaluated for this if possible. As I stated, most likely the painful intercourse is related to #2 and #3 above.

Finally, if there is any concern or risk of having an STD, you should get checked out. While it sounds typical of a yeast and bladder infection, there is also the possibility of a sexually transmitted infection, such as trichomonas for example.

I hope that this helps - please let me know.

Dr. Tim
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Timothy Raichle

OBGYN