• question-icon

What causes painful intercourse after cervical conization?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi. I had a cone biopsy 3 years ago after a number of abnormal pap smears. Pap smears since the have been normal. However since that biopsy intercourse has been painful (and pap smears). I have used lubrication and oestrogen creams but the problem persists. I'm told it is my age (I am in my early sixties) but this problem wasn't happening before the procedure. Also the pain comes from the cervical region, not the first part of my vagina. Is there anything i can do?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pain due to exposed nerve endings

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.
This pain after conisation is most likely due to the nerve endings which are exposed externally to the vagina and hence cause pain on intercourse and touching the vagina in pap smear.
Not much can be done in order to cover the nerve endings, however one can take Gabapentin to decrease the neuronal pain.
This may help in decreasing the pain due to nerve endings.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 27 minutes later
This explanation does seem to fit the problem but I don't understand how nerve endings have been exposed. I don't want to take medication. Is there anything I can put on my cervix to soothe / heal this problem
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 12 hours later
Brief Answer:
Lignocaine gel

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, you can use lignocaine gel to soothe the cervix, however it is not possible to treat it completely.
The cervix and vagina contain nerve fibres.
When the conisation is done, the tissue is removed, leaving the nerve fibres embedded in the tissue to be exposed.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine