What causes painful frequent urination while on Levetiracetam?

Posted on Wed, 3 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: my husband is taking levetiracetam to prevent seizures. He had brain bleed surgery last week.
The medicine, Levetiracetam, is causing painful and frequent urination. What should he do?
His dosage is 1000mg twice a day.
Answered by Dr. Ajay Panwar 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It usually does not cause such issues.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for being on healthcaremagic.com.
I am Dr.Ajay Panwar,a neurologist, here to answer your query.

If you would have presented to me with such a complaint,I would have told you that Levetiracetam is not known to cause such issues in clinical practice.Other causes should be looked for your urination problem.However, if you still are sure of the temporal association of causation, I would suggest you to discuss with your treating doctor so that he can prescribe you an alternative antiepileptic(Phenytoin,Oxcarbazepine,valproate). There are several antiepileptic options post brain surgery.

Hope that helps.If you have any further questions,I shall be glad to have you in follow-up.

Dr.Ajay Panwar,
MD,DM(Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Ajay Panwar

Neurologist